Dear International Students and Scholars,
I hope this message finds you well.
We are in the middle of the tax-preparation and tax-filing season. The deadline to file taxes for 2016 is Tuesday, April 18, 2017!
We would like our students to keep the following points in mind as you embark upon this process:
- International Place has prepared information on our website to help you navigate the tax preparation process.
- The field of tax preparation is specialized; with tax preparation for international students even more so.
- The staff of International Place are not tax specialists; and are not able to provide qualified advice on these matters.
- With these points in mind, we have purchased specialized, easy-to-use software (Sprintax) that we make available, free of charge, to all qualified international students and scholars at The Claremont Colleges, as well as recent alumni.*
- Most international students and scholars must file form 8843, even if the student/scholar did not earn any income. Sprintax includes a tool to complete Form 8843. If you choose not to use Sprintax to file Form 8843, you can find the PDF of the form here. (We recommend that students use Sprintax to complete Form 8843)
- The deadline to request a code for Sprintax is Friday, March 31, 2017
*Sprintax will determine which students and scholars “qualify” for use of Sprintax. Certain international students and scholars (those considered “residents for tax purposes” as defined by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), will not be able to use Sprintax); the same is true for certain Claremont Colleges alumni.
Below are some important links that can help you with tax preparation:
Request a Sprintax Access Code (please start here; required to use Sprintax)
Sprintax (web-based tax preparation system for international students and scholars)
Tax Filing Information on the International Place website (please be sure to read this page before e-mailing questions)
International Taxpayers Information (IRS) (please see this information for comprehensive materials pertaining to taxation and tax preparation for international students and scholars)
Remember: The deadline to request a code for Sprintax is Friday, March 31, 2017!
We wish you the very best for the rest of the semester and hope to see you at The International Festival in just a couple of weeks!
Director, International Place of The Claremont Colleges
International Student Advisor (DSO), Claremont McKenna College
390 East Ninth Street | Claremont, CA 91711