New International Student and Scholar Orientation, also known as “NISSO”, is a three-day program hosted by International Place that is designed for incoming students or scholars who have lived outside of the US for at least some part of their lives.
While NISSO is a requirement for students with a visa, students and scholars with US citizenship or permanent residency who have lived abroad are also very welcome to attend.
- Knowledge tailored to an international perspective
- Opportunity to settle into life on campus early
- Complimentary airport pickup service (*registration required)
- Peer-to-peer support from current international students
- Advice from future professors and administrators
- Interaction with the larger international student community at The Claremont Colleges
NISSO Session Dates
Sessions are assigned according to college and program.
Session 1 (August 16-18) | Arrival Day: Tuesday, August 15
- Claremont McKenna College
- Pitzer College (non-exchange)
- Pomona College
Session 2 (August 20-22) | Arrival Day: Saturday, August 19
- Claremont Graduate University
- Harvey Mudd College
- Pitzer College (exchange only)
- Scripps College
KGI Session (August 15) | Arrival Day: Sunday, August 13
- Keck Graduate Institute
Drucker Session (August 20) | Arrival Day: Sunday, August 13
- CGU’s Drucker School of Management
Specialized Program and Activities
Our three-day program is designed to make international students feel well-prepared for the transition to an American college setting.
The knowledge and connections students will gain during NISSO is invaluable, and we hope will be able to support them throughout their entire academic career in Claremont.
Peer-to-Peer Support from NISSO Leaders
Our NISSO Leaders are here to help new students make the smooth transition to life in Claremont, beginning with a welcome at the airport.
Program for Parents and Families of International Students
Parents and family members who will be joining new students and scholars for NISSO are invited to attend a session especially for international parents and families.
Please check back later this summer for a detailed schedule of NISSO!
Complimentary Airport Pick-up Service
- Students will be welcomed by our representatives at LAX and ONT Airports
- Complimentary ride from the airport to International Place
- Pickup Schedule (by Session Arrival Day)*
- Session 1: Tuesday, August 15 | 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
- Session 2: Saturday, August 19 | 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
- KGI Session: Sunday, August 13 | 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Drucker Session: Sunday, August 13 | 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Please note: Due to the high volume of students arriving to NISSO, International Place can only accommodate students who
- Register for NISSO before the July 3 deadline
- Arrive on their assigned arrival day during the schedule listed above
- Submit their flight itinerary to International Place by July 24
*Students who cannot make it to the airport during the time scheduled for their arrival day should be prepared to arrange their own transportation to Claremont.
Register for NISSO and request an airport pickup before July 3, 2017.
Early Arrival for NISSO
Get to know your new home away from home before the rest of the students arrive on campus!
Attending NISSO gives international students extra time to:
- Cover basic necessities (like opening a US bank account or buying a cell phone)
- Become familiar with campus (classrooms, dining halls, etc.)
- Adjust to time zone change
Residence Hall Move-In
All students from the 5 undergraduate colleges* are required to move into their residence halls during NISSO.
Students planning to arrive in Claremont on their own or with family must check in to International Place on their arrival day by 10:00 PM PST.
*Exchange students studying at Pitzer College will move into their residence halls after NISSO, and are required to participate in the CFIS Host Family Program.
Support for Graduate and Exchange Students: CFIS Host Family Program
Graduate and exchange students are not guaranteed on-campus housing during NISSO.
However, they have the option to participate in the CFIS Host Family Program.
The CFIS Host Family Program is a 5-night temporary Host Family Program available to:
- Claremont Graduate University students and scholars
- Keck Graduate Institute students
- Pitzer College exchange students (required)
Sign up for the CFIS Host Family Program when registering for NISSO before July 3, 2017.
NISSO Registration – Fall 2017
Register by Monday, July 3, to:
- Participate in NISSO
- Request a complimentary airport pickup service
- Move into the residence hall early (undergraduates only)
- Request participation in the CFIS Host Family Program (graduate and PIT exchange students only)
Note: NISSO is a requirement for all undergraduate international students.
The final deadline to register for NISSO and request arrival services is on Monday, July 3, 2017 at 11:59 PM PST.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is NISSO?
“NISSO” stands for New International Student and Scholar Orientation. NISSO is a 3-day program designed for incoming students and scholars who have lived outside of the U.S. for at least some part of their lives.
Is NISSO required?
NISSO is required for all incoming international students who are entering the U.S. on the F-1 visa. However, the NISSO program can be valuable to any student who has lived abroad for at least some part of their life.
When is NISSO?
Session 1 (CMC, PIT non-exchange, POM): August 16-18
Session 2 (CGU, HMC, PIT exchange, SCR): August` 20-22
KGI Session (KGI only): August 15
Drucker Session (CGU-Drucker only): August 20
When do I have to arrive on campus?
Session 1 Arrival Day: Tuesday, August 15 – (CMC, PIT non-exchange, POM)
Session 2 Arrival Day: Saturday, August 19 – (CGU, HMC, PIT exchange, SCR)
KGI Session Arrival Day: Sunday, August 13 – (KGI only)
Drucker Session Arrival Day: Sunday, August 13 – (CGU Drucker only)
What information will be covered during NISSO?
Please check back soon for the detailed schedule.
How do I register for NISSO?
To register for NISSO, visit our “NISSO Registration” page, and choose the form which corresponds to your NISSO Session.
When do I have to register for NISSO by?
The deadline for NISSO Registration is Monday, July 3, 11:59 PST.
Can my family come with me to NISSO?
Yes, families of new students are invited to attend special programs separate from the NISSO program for new students. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer airport pickups or the CFIS Host Family Program for family members. Family members traveling with students to Claremont must arrange their own transportation and accommodations while visiting.
Will I be able to move into my dorm room for NISSO?
Undergraduate students* who will be living on campus during the academic year will be moving into their residence hall during NISSO. Graduate and exchange students are not guaranteed to live on campus, and have the option of participating in the CFIS Host Family Program.
*Exchange students studying at Pitzer College will move into their residence halls after NISSO. The CFIS Host Family Program is a curricular requirement for their program.
Can I move into my dorm even if I don’t attend NISSO?
No. Early move-in is only available to eligible undergraduate students who have registered for NISSO by July 3.
College-Specific Orientation Programs
Note that, in addition to the New International Student and Scholar Orientation (NISSO), each of The Claremont Colleges has college-specific orientation programs and information for new students. Contact your College’s Dean of Students Office for more information, or click on the link to your college below.