We send our warmest thanks to our hosts for volunteering their time, their homes, and their hearts to help International Place and Community Friends of International Students welcome new students to The Claremont Colleges.
Immigration regulations, financial concerns and cultural adjustment make the journey to this country a tremendous challenge for students from around the world. Hosts play a critical role in welcoming our graduate and exchange students to the United States and to Claremont.
Become a New Host Family!
If you would like to learn more about the host family program or become a new host, please see the Tips and Expectations for Host Families link below and complete the 2018 Host Family Interest Form. After submitting the form, one of our Community Friends volunteers will contact you.
Current Host Family Information – Fall 2018
Below are the arrival dates for new international graduate and exchange students for Fall 2018.
- Keck Graduate Institute:
- Friday, August 17 arrival; move out no later than Wednesday, August 22.
- Note: KGI graduate students must search for and secure their own housing. The homestay program is for no more than 5 nights.
- Claremont Graduate University:
- Monday, August 13 arrival; move out no later than Saturday, August 18.
- Note: CGU graduate students must search for and secure their own housing. The homestay program is for no more than 5 nights
- Pitzer College:
- Saturday, August 25 arrival; move out no later than Thursday, August 30.
- Note: Residence hall move-in day for Pitzer College Exchange Students is Thursday, August 30.
To let us know whether or not you are able to host this year, please complete our 2018 Host Family Interest Form.
Tips and Expectation for Host Families
General expectations for CFIS Host Families:
- We request that hosts be prepared to provide at least bed and breakfast.
- We request that hosts arrange to drop their student off at International Place in the morning during New International Student and Scholar Orientation (NISSO), and then pick them up at the end of the schedule program of that day.
- For undergraduate exchange students moving into the residence halls, we request that hosts assist their student(s) on move-in day.
- We request that hosts do not:
- Loan their student money or make purchases on their student’s behalf
- Allow their student to make direct long distance phone calls
Additional Helpful Resources