Immigration Regulations

International Place staff work closely with the International Student Advisors at each of The Claremont Colleges to make sure that students are aware of and comply with the various immigration regulations that affect international students and scholars.

Maintaining Your Immigration Status

Full-time Enrollment

F-1 and J-1 students must maintain full-time enrollment each fall and spring semester unless they have received approval from their international student advisor.

Valid Passport

Make sure your passport is valid at all times. To renew your passport while in the U.S., you need to contact your local embassy or consulate.

Travel Signature

You must have a valid travel signature (p. 2 of your I-20 or p. 1 of your DS-2019) in order to return to the U.S. after a trip abroad. The travel signature can be no older than 1 year (6 months for students on OPT), upon your return to the U.S. The travel signature can be used multiple times; there is no need for a new travel signature for each time you travel, and you do not need a new signature if your current one will be less than one year old (6 months for students on OPT) upon your return to the U.S. See your international student advisor well in advance of your travel date if you will need a new travel signature. DO NOT wait until the week of travel to get a new signature.

Figure out of if you need a new Form I-20 or travel signature (for F-1 students)

U.S. Address

F-1 and J-1 students must report any change of address to their international student advisor within 10 days of making that change. This includes address changes for students who normally live on campus and who remain in the U.S. during summer living off-campus.

Completion of Academic Program

F-1 and J-1 students are expected to complete their academic program by the end date shown on their I-20 (F-1 students) or DS-2019 (J-1 students).   If you plan to depart the U.S. after you complete your studies at one of The Claremont Colleges, keep in mind that you can remain in the U.S. no later than 60 days after the program end date on your I-20 if you hold F-1 status, and no later than 30 days after the program end date on your DS-2019 if you hold J-1 status. Contact your international student advisor well in advance of that end date if:

    • You need additional time to complete your program
    • You plan to apply for Optional Practical Training or Academic Training upon program completion
    • You plan to enroll in some other U.S. school after completing your studies at one of The Claremont Colleges

I-94 Arrival/Departure Record

You should check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection I-94 website each time you return to the U.S. to make sure your arrival and departure history is accurate. Your international student advisor may request a copy of that record. You will also need a copy of that record when applying for a Social Security Number or a California Driver License.


Please stop by I-Place if you have questions about any of these matters.