NISSO Leader Program 2020-2021
Being a NISSO Leader is the perfect opportunity to pay it forward by welcoming the new international students to Claremont during New International Student and Scholar Orientation (NISSO).
We are looking for the next group of dedicated and driven leaders who have a passion for supporting and interacting with people from around the world.
As a NISSO Leader you would have the chance to:
- Build meaningful relationships across The Claremont Colleges
- Meet and welcome new international students to your campus
- Arrive on campus early for NISSO Leader Training (all meals covered; early residence hall-access)
- Build your leadership skills
2020-2021 NISSO Leader Program Schedule
*Due to the uncertainty of the format of the Fall 2020 semester (dependent on COVID-19 regulations), all dates below are tentative. International Place staff will update applicants as soon as changes are made.*
All NISSO Leaders will be expected to participate in the following mandatory activities. Please apply only if you think you are able to be available for all of the following activities.
NISSO Leader Selection Process
Applications open Friday, May 1
Applications close Thursday, May 21 (Deadline extended from Sunday, May 17)
Zoom Interviews – Monday, May 25 – Friday, May 29
2020-2021 NISSO Leader Cohort announced the first week of June
Virtual Summer Orientation
Friday, June 5 (subject to change)
Connecting with New Students over the Summer
Online throughout June – August
NISSO Leaders Return to Campus
Sunday, August 16 (subject to change)
NISSO Leader Training
Monday, August 17 – Wednesday, August 19
NISSO Program (tentative)
Thursday, August 20 – Saturday, August 22
First day of classes
NISSO Leader Programming and Check-Ins with First-Years
Monthly throughout 2020-2021 Academic Year (details TBA)
In addition to finding candidates who are familiar with the international student experience and who are invested in building an inclusive community at The Claremont Colleges, International Place is searching for students who are able to fully commit to the responsibility of being a NISSO Leader.
Here are the eligibility requirements to be a candidate for the NISSO Leader program:
- Must be a current student at Claremont McKenna College, Pitzer College, Pomona College, or Scripps College
- Must commit to participate in all NISSO Leader Program activities references above
- Identifies as an international student (regardless of citizenship/visa status)
- Does not have any social, professional, or academic commitments that would interfere with NISSO Leader program schedule
- Preferably be in Claremont for both semesters of the 2020-2021 academic year
Apply to be a NISSO Leader for 2020-2021!
Be sure to carefully review mandatory dates and eligibility requirements above before applying. The application deadline is on Thursday, May 21, at 5:00 PM PDT.
For questions, please email I-Place staff at email@example.com.