Tax Preparation for International Students and Scholars: An Introduction

The deadline to file taxes for the 2020 Tax Year is May 17, 2021.

A Brief Introduction to Tax Preparation and Filing in the United States

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S. government agency that collects taxes. It is the responsibility of each student/scholar to understand and meet their tax obligations in the United States. Understanding, preparing, and filing taxes can be challenging, even for most Americans and U.S. residents.  Many in the U.S. rely on the work of tax specialists and tax-preparation software, to help prepare their tax forms.

To address these challenges International Place provides access to Sprintax, a specialized online software, to help prepare tax documents for international students and scholars.

The tax preparation information on this website is meant to provide a simple introduction to tax preparation for international students and scholars at The Claremont Colleges, as well as to provide free resources for our students and scholars. The staff of International Place are not tax specialists; and are not able to provide qualified advice on these matters. If the information offered below (including that which is available through Sprintax) does not meet your needs, we strongly encourage you to contact a qualified tax professional who specializes in taxes for “non-residents for tax purposes”.


Tax-Filing Support from International Place

International Place provides complimentary access to Sprintax Non-Resident Federal Tax Preparation and Form 8843 for current international students and scholars of The Claremont Colleges, as well as international students and scholars who have completed their program in 2020.

International students and scholars from the following colleges may request an access code from International Place: Claremont McKenna College, Pitzer College, Pomona College, Scripps College.

International students and scholars at Harvey Mudd CollegeClaremont Graduate University, and Keck Graduate Institute will be receiving support from their international student advisors on tax-filing. Please contact your International Student Advisor for more details.

For more information about Sprintax and to request a Sprintax Access Code for the 2020 Tax Year, please click here.

Please note that the access code from International Place does not cover the cost of filing state taxes. If you are directed to prepare state taxes, you may choose to pay Sprintax to prepare your state taxes, on your behalf.

What Information & Documents Might You Need To Prepare Your Tax Return?

  • Passport
  • US Entry and Exit Dates for current and all past visits to the US
  • All tax forms (if you received any), including Forms W-2, 1042-S, and/or 1099
  • Visa/Immigration Status information, including Form DS-2019 (for J visa holders) or Form I-20 (for F visa holders)
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
  • If you do not have an ITIN, Sprintax can help you get one!
  • If you are using Sprintax for State Tax Returns(s) preparation only, you will need a copy of your already prepared Federal Tax Return (for the current and previous years, if you filed any)
  • Please note that you do not need Form 1098-T in Sprintax.

Residents for Tax Purposes

If Sprintax determines that you are to be classified as a “resident-for-tax-purposes”, and therefore ineligible to use Sprintax, you may consider the following options:

Please note: Only use the options in this section if Sprintax determines that you are a “resident-for-tax-purposes.” Using the options listed in this section may not take your international student/scholar status into account, and may incorrectly calculate your tax liability.

Helpful Tax Links